Thursday, August 25, 2011

Get Your Wheat On

The other day on Facebook, I asked if anyone had a good wheat bread recipe to share.  I received two responses from wonderful fans and thought I would share them, as well as the recipe I actually used, with you.

Jenn shared one from this site, and Cassee passed along this one her friend swears by.  Unfortunately, I did not have all the ingredients on hand for either recipe.  The latter recipe uses some ingredients that I don't usually stock in my kitchen, and the former requires honey of which I am out.  I discovered that not having honey on hand knocks out a bunch of wheat bread options.

But I finally found this sort of blended (uses both wheat and all-purpose flours) wheat roll recipe for which I had all the ingredients!
Yum to the tum!!!


The verdict:

  • Baking process = easy, especially with a dough hook and stand mixer.
  • Baking time = small active bake time but LONG wait (for rising) times. 
  • Fresh out of the oven taste = surprisingly meh...  Good, but not mouth-watering.
  • Next day taste = surprisingly super duper delicious!  I have no idea why that is or how that happened, but my husband and I both agree they tasted fabulous on day two!  Let's put it this way: I made 2 dozen, there are 2 of us plus my daughter who maybe had 1, and they were gone in less than 48 hours.  :)

In summary, this pic probably says it best:















Let me know if you try any of the recipes linked to above, and please post any additional wheat recipes you would like to share in the comments below!  Enjoy, and thanks!

post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Me like comments! Nom nom!

P.S. Click the 'Subscribe by email' link below if you want to be notified when additional comments/responses are made to this specific post.